Posted by Russell Wright on December 27, 2009
This is one of the things I detest most in MS Office apps. The dreaded “Adaptive Menus.” And yet, after all these years, they continue to come back and haunt me. I just want them gone! They started showing up the other day in Outlook 2007. Then I noticed them in Project. Where were they coming from?
They are controlled by the Tools | Customize menu option. All you should have to do is check “Always show full menus” checkbox and you should be done. I did this repeatedly, but every time I started Outlook, it went away.
The setting is actually in the registry under AdaptiveMenus in the following key path:
Each time I started Outlook I could see it come back (AdaptiveMenus=1) by pressing F5 to refresh the registry editor (REGEDIT) after starting Outlook. I started hunting around and decided to look at the Add-ins that were loading. To do this, open the Trust Center under the Tools menu.
I only had three Add-ins loading and I knew I wanted to keep Kaspersky (anti-virus). I didn’t think the Outlook VBA Add-in would be a problem. After fiddling around a little, I found that deselecting the magicJack Add-in would prevent this problem from recurring.
Now I’ve got my full menus back and they are STICKY! Yeah! It’s the little things in life…
Posted in Computer Software | 6 Comments »
Posted by Russell Wright on December 26, 2009
We got our daughter an ASUS eee PC (netbook) for Christmas which came with Windows 7 starter. I was replacing the Windows 7 starter edition with a full-up version of Windows 7 Ultimate and, after I was done, the O/S couldn’t see any Bluetooth hardware. I was pretty sure the computer had a Bluetooth radio in it, so I checked the BIOS and, sure enough, there was a setting to enable or disable the Bluetooth radio. However, Windows 7 wasn’t seeing it.
I had previously updated the BIOS to the latest version using ASUS Update with the original Windows 7 starter, so I was pretty sure I didn’t need to upgrade the BIOS. However, after the Windows 7 upgrade, any time I tried to install the Bluetooth drivers using the latest s/w from the ASUS site, I received an error stating “Bluetooth hardware not found…” or something similar. I messed with this for two or three hours.
Finally, I decided to go through a BIOS upgrade again. Essentially, I upgraded to the same version that I already had loaded. After “upgrading” the Bluetooth hardware was recognized by Windows 7 and everything worked.
Hope this helps someone else who might be experiencing the same problem!
Posted in Computer Repair | Leave a Comment »